If I were to be truly honest with you, darling, I would confess that the people I love the most? They’re authentic. I love when someone is real. They allow me to see the core of who they are and in moments, I get to glimpse not just their heart, but the essence of theirs soul. It’s the main reason why I am have become more discerning on social medial. Especially who I follow on Instagram. I want to see beautiful and pretty things posted by those who are speaking from the heart. Finding the right folks to follow on social media can give you both inspiration and reminders of all the reasons to love your life.
I am also a realist and know that not everything we see online can inspire us to love our lives. Too often, it makes us feel as if something is missing because we aren’t as pretty/put together/glam as those other people. To that I ask, WHY? Why is needing a picture perfect life 24/7 the only reasons you’ll love your life?
Because life is not picture perfect, and if we don’t take the time to see and appreciate the little moments of pleasure in our lives – focusing only on the big things we feel we are owed and lacking – then we’ll have no reason at all to love our life.
I dare you to take a moment to pause and start looking for those reasons to love your life.
One of the things I’ve learned is that the details matter. By choosing to add what could be considered small luxuries to your life, you are able to experience and enjoy your life more fully. And as we mindlessly scroll through our Instagram feed, we see these well-dressed, perfectly put together people who seem like they have everything going for them, and we compare our lives to theirs and feel like we will never measure up.
It happens to everyone at times. Which is all the more reminder that looking at our own lives is imperative. We must to remember to seek the reasons why we love our own life. And, I admit it. Sometimes they are very small details that can be easy to miss when we are rushing from one obligation to the next, in a constant whirl of activity from the moment we get up until our head hits our pillow.
When the old comparison game gets to be too much, I write it down. Yep. All those tiny reasons to love my life.
When I allow myself the space to pause and really see this amazing life I have built for myself, those little details of everyday life bloom before me. And I find myself with dozens of reasons to love my life all year round.
Sometimes it’s a little bit of extra effort at certain points of the year, it can be hard not to get caught up in the action and forget to take the time to appreciate those little reasons to love your life, so here I have ten reasons for each season, as well as ten reasons to love your life no matter what time of the year it is.
I encourage you to write them down when you notice them, so you can have a running a list of the little reasons to love your life, even when the sun is beating down relentlessly on your back in the height of summer and you are wondering if you’ll even live a life in which you are not constantly sweating.
Here are some of the items I’ve written down in my journal to remind me of all the reasons to love my life in the fall, winter, spring, and summer. And, of course, no matter the season.
Ten Delightful Reasons to Love Your Life in the Fall
- Back to school supplies; yes, even if you’re not going back to school.
- The scent of pumpkin pie, apple pie, and freshly-made apple cider donuts. All that delightful cinnamon that permeates the season.
- The way the leaves shift from green to gold to brilliant orange. I love the sight of them on the trees. And as they begin to drift to the earth. Isn’t it mesmerizing to watch a single leaf fall?
- The chill in the early morning air, inviting me to throw on my favorite sweater.
- Getting your coziest blankets out the hall closet after a long hot summer. Especially the weight of it across your legs as you read an intriguing book.
- The feeling of the wet, squishy pumpkin guts as you prepare to carve a Jack-o-lantern.
- Halloween! And all the cute and clever Halloween costumes parents make for their kids. (And if you’re lucky, you can see some fab and creative costumes on adults, too.)
- The energy you can’t help but absorb when you watch a high school football team.
- The smell of the Thanksgiving turkey slowly filling the house as it roasts in the oven. And the tang of cranberries mixed with oranges? Isn’t it divine? And how can I forget the ways in which we share how grateful we are at the table when we are surrounded by beloved souls.
- The imperceptible way intimacy increases when loved ones gather around the fireplace in the evening. Laughter together whilst the world outside shifts from purple to inky darkness.
Ten Enchanting Reasons to Love Your Life in the Winter
- The first snowfall of the season. There is nothing like the scent on the air or the way the light sparkles against the blanketed landscape.
- Bringing your holiday decorations out. And finding a favorite ornament that takes you back to your childhood. There is nothing like the sweetness of Nostalgia.
- The singers you find in different spaces. Like those you see Victorian dress, singing traditional Christmas carols. Suddenly you’re not in a crowded American shopping mall but rather on a street corner in olde London.
- Drinking a cup of cider (or hot toddy!) while snuggled under a blanket and watching It’s a Wonderful Life in the semi-darkness of your living room.
- The palpable magic in the air on the Winter Solstice.
- Christmas cookies. Delightful to see. Even if we vow to eat none or only two, how can we resist their delightful way the crunch and sweetness flow across our tongue?
- The tip of the hat from the Salvation Army bell ringer after you slip a few dollars into his bucket.
- Waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the snow float peacefully to the ground in the stillness.
- Getting feeling back in your fingers after frantically scraping off your car.
- The feeling of hope and renewal when the clock strikes midnight on the New Year.
Ten Luscious Reasons to Love Your Life in the Spring
- The first shoots of spring flowers. The ways in which we are reminded of faith and hope when the daffodils and tulips begin to emerge from the snowy earth.
- The smell in the air after a refreshing rainfall.
- The first really nice day that you can wear your favorite dress. And contemplate leaving the house without a jacket.
- Cherry blossoms. The softness of their pinkness and the sweet scent upon the air.
- Taking a second to splash in a rain puddle (just a little bit, it’s okay).
- Getting to read out on your deck.
- The weather finally being warm enough that having a salad sounds delicious and refreshing.
- Dining al fresco with a good friend you haven’t been able to see in a while.
- Rolling down the windows of your car just to feel the wind in your hair. And how can we forget the feeling of sun upon your face?
- Helping the errant ladybug off your shoulder and onto a waiting leaf.
Ten Captivating Reasons to Love Your Life in the Summer
- Finding the perfect summer dress. And, of course, summer sandals.
- The vibrant taste and scent of tomatoes. The delectable sweetness of local strawberries. And the sound of laughter as your friends gather in your backyard.
- Playing with sidewalk chalk and showing the kids how to rock hopscotch.
- Riding your bike and feeling the wind whip through your hair. And loving the way the sun brightens your way.
- The feeling of grass between your toes. And the sun on your face. Ah, the need to put on your favorite sunglasses.
- A sweating glass of cold rose on a hot day. Especially on the porch with a book in hand.
- The purifying feeling of the sweat pouring down your face as you pull weeds from your garden.
- The roar of dozens of lawn mowers and the smell of freshly-cut grass on a Saturday morning.
- Beach reads! Even if you don’t go to the beach. Of course, how can we deny the pleasures of digging your feet deep in the sand while you finally dive into that book you’ve been waiting to read.
Ten Delicious Reasons to Love Your Life No Matter the Season
- The first blissful sip of coffee in the morning.
- The feeling when your favorite song comes on the radio.
- The delight of getting a real piece of mail. Better yet, if you love real mail, send real mail. Who doesn’t love a card or letter?
- Sitting down and putting your feet up after a long day of work or running errands.
- Realizing you can now forgive someone in your past who hurt you.
- Meeting a goal you had set for yourself that you thought might not be possible.
- Seeing that avocados are on sale for less than a dollar apiece. And realizing that all those (virtual) coupons make a difference in your budget.
- Having an extra five-minutes of quiet in the morning.
- Running into someone you haven’t seen in a long time at a random place. Like the grocery store or restaraunt. Or better yet, when you’re traveling.
- The way you feel when you wear a favorite outfit, a favorite pair of shoes, or snag a favorite purse.
My darling, it is so easy to compare your daily life with the overly curated lives of strangers on the internet.
But let me say that all the reasons to love your life are right before your eyes. And if I can say, maybe unplugging from social media is the way to remember time and time again that the life you are living is truly one of delight.
So, tell me darling, in what are the reasons to love your life?
Do you need a regular reminder of all the reasons to love your life?
I can help you take the love for yourself and your life deeper with Become Besotted.
You’ll receive an initial booklet to help you evaluate – and love your current reality.
Then, on the 25th of each month, you’ll receive a chapter designed to help you set doable monthly goals to create change.
You’ll also receive prompts to dive into loving your life as it is and writing your own life story.Purchase the Online Course: Become Besotted
**A Year-Long Subscription to Become Besotted is $89